Snow is on the ground, holiday decor is hanging from the streets, and holiday music is playing all around the world!
The holiday season is officially here!
This could mean one of two things:
1.You love the holidays, seeing family, giving and getting gifts, eating delicious food, and having a jolly good time!
2. This is the most stressful time of year for you, budgets are tight, family stresses you out, and since when are the holidays about buying expensive things for everyone in your life?
I’m a mix between 1 and 2, but also 3.
What is 3?
3. Giving to those who are less fortunate than you. Instead of writing you a guide of more stuff to buy, I’m writing you a guide to give to those who are less fortunate than you. Because that’s what the holidays are truly about.
Being grateful for what you have and making a difference in the world for people who really need it.
Giving to those who need it most
Below you can find five organizations where you can donate to for the holidays.
1.The NEEDs List- This is a website where you can donate to places in the world that need the most help. The top two on the list right now are Mosquito Repellent for families in Puerto Rico and Dignity Kits for Refugee Women in Kenya. A few dollars can help an entire family, women, AND this a way YOU can help change the world!
2. Sponsor a Parcel with Heimatstern for an orphaned child from Syria. The organization shows you what is in the parcel and all you have to do is pay for the postage. The parcel could contain food, clothing, and a small toy for the child. Something small could bring an orphaned child much joy. You can sponsor HERE.
3. Hold a fundraiser and donate all the money to JFS of Metrowest to Benefit Syrian Refugees. Earlier this year, I partnered with The Quisby Hostel in New Orleans and together we hosted a donation based yoga class. All the proceeds went directly to JFS of Metrowest. With the money raised, we were able to help Syrian children get school supply. Not only was I able to do something I love, but I was able to give to those who need it most.
4. Donate to hurricane victims in Puerto Rico through UNIDOS. Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico in September and completely destroyed the island. More than half of the island is still without electricity and clean water. You can donate as little as $15 to give a warm meal to a family or help a distribution of clean water get to people in need. Water is life so please donate!
5. Are you an animal lover? Awesome! There’s an organization called Sgt. Pepper’s Friends in Aruba. This is an organization that SAVES cats and dogs. They not only save them, but they nurse them back to health. Sgt. Pepper’s Friends just bought property to open an animal shelter. They did all of this by donations! So if animals are who you LOVE, then donate today or better yet adopt! Both are ways of helping the world because peace on Earth means the animals too! 🙂
A bit tight on cash?
No worries! You can volunteer your time rather than donate!
Where to Volunteer:
The FEOX Rescue Team- This Nobel Peace Prize nominated organization is based in Chios, Greece. They work in refugee camps helping refugees from Syria, Somalia, Afghanistan, Yemen, Iran, and Iraq. Volunteering here is 100% reality, but working with them will humble you AND you will have the chance to meet and help people from all over the world who truly need your help. This year I volunteered at FEOX. With YOUR help, we raised $1200. With that money, I created and distributed 52 care packages, taught a week of yoga classes in refugee care center, created 50 multilingual meditation packets, and hosted two entertainment nights at the refugee camps. This benefited 300+ refugees. So your volunteering can go a long way here and feel free to read about that adventure HERE.
All Hands Volunteers- This is an organization that provides disaster relief in disaster ridden areas throughout the world. You can help rebuild neighborhoods, refurbish homes, and help give a community hope that they can grow and rebuild themselves together. It’s inspiring work this organization does and you could be apart of that!
Women For Whales- Get involved at Women For Whales by downloading FREE posters where you can learn HOW to make the oceans cleaner in your day to day lives. Plus when you help the oceans, you’re one step closer to becoming a mermaid. So it’s a win win for YOU and the whales!
Wow! So many choices, that’s a lot to take in! Let’s recap! The holidays are a time to be grateful and give to those less fortunate (people and animals alike). In this post, you have five organizations to donate to and three organizations to volunteer with. All of these are opportunities for YOU to grow, learn, and help someone in need. The world is a big place and if we want to change it, then we have to start small or big! That’s up to you! Either way take a big inhale through your nose and slowly exhale through your mouth. Now pick an organization and change the world!
Brytta is a world traveling yoga teacher from NYC. Lover of glitter, SUP Yoga and climbing waterfalls. When she's not adventuring around the world and practicing yoga, she's writing about her adventures and coming up with new ways to take her yoga off the mat and into the world! When she's not doing any of that, she's outside studying constellations and making wishes on shooting stars. A big fan of discovering new music, her current favorite musicians to practice to are: Nahko and Medicine For The People, Trevor Hall and CloZee. ♥